CBD Focal Points List
World Environment Day
World Biodiversity Day
Note from Head-RBP
IUCN – RBP Staff
IUCN Regional Biodiversity Programme, Asia was established to provide support and guidance to the region to effectively implement the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). However, during the past two years our activities expanded to cover issues of climate change, land degradation, poverty reduction and livelihood securities.
The following are some of the significant activities that were supported by the Programme by provision of technical and financial support.
- Establishment of Bangladesh National Biodiversity Group (BNBG) [This group is a multi-stakeholder group created to strengthen design and deliver of conservation projects].
- Development of Bangladesh Threatened Species List – English and Bangla versions.
- Training for Conventional and Participatory Vegetation Surveys in Cambodia [This activity was a prelude to the NBSAP of Cambodia]
- Support to consultative group on National Biodiversity Strategy and
Action Plan of China.
- Development of sub-national Biodiversity Action Plan for Dujiangyan in China.
- Establishment of Consultative Group on Implementation of the CBD in India [This group is a multi-stakeholder group created to strengthen design and deliver of conservation projects].
- Establishment of Centre for Information on Conventions in WWF India [This center acted as the CHM for India on MEAs].
- India Bioregion Studies – A publication of information on Bioregions of India.
- Development of Conservation Regulations – Lao PDR.
- Support to Wildlife Status Report, Lao PDR – Lao PDR.
- Preparation of Education & Awareness Material on CBD – Malaysia.
- Support for Facilitation of National Biodiversity Network – Malaysia.
- Biodiversity Assessment – Nepal [Prelude to NBSAP of Nepal]
- Support to National Biodiversity Unit – Nepal [This support facilitated the establishment of CBD focal point and a special unit on biodiversity within the Ministry of Soil Conservation and Environment, His Majesty’s Government].
- Establishment of National Biodiversity Center – Philippines [This support facilitated the establishment of CBD focal point and a special unit on biodiversity within the Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau in Philippines].
- Support to Biodiversity Unit of Ministry of Forest & Environment, Sri Lanka [This support facilitated the establishment of CBD focal point and a special unit on biodiversity within the Ministry of Environment and Forests].
- Follow-up on Biodiversity Action Plan (Phase1) – Sri Lanka
- Finalisation of the list of threatened species for Sri Lanka
– Sri Lanka [National Red Lists].
- Support for National Institute of Education to develop an advanced
level – students curriculum on biodiversity – Sri Lanka
- Support to development of Thailand Biodiversity Programme – Thailand
- Support to establishment of Information Management System for
Biodiversity Conservation – Vietnam
- Support to Biodiversity focal point for Vietnam – Vietnam [This support facilitated the establishment of CBD focal point and a special unit on biodiversity within the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment].
- Workshop on Management & Protection of Coastal Wetlands in Vietnam.
- Assistance to develop Marine protected areas list in Vietnam.
- Assistance to develop National Wetlands List in Vietnam.
- Support to development of brochure for the Nature Conservation Division
in Vietnam -Vietnam.
- Translation of a Guide to the Convention on Biodiversity – Vietnam.
- Regional Training Workshop on Red Listing Assessments and indicators – Sri Lanka.
- Asia – Pacific regional workshop on Biosafety – China.
- Regional workshop on Risk Assessment and Risk Management for implementing Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety – India.
- Biodiversity Programme Planning exercise – Lao PDR.
- Strengthening the South Asia network on Plant Genetic Resources, Sri Lanka.
- Development of an addendum for Sri Lankan’s Biodiversity Action Plan in Sri Lanka.
- Development of Threatened Species List of Mammals in Pakistan.
- Scoping exercise on agrobiodiversity in Lao PDR.
- Regional session of Global Biodiveristy Forum – China, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Philippines.
- South East Asia regional training programme on Environmental Law in Singapore.
- Workshop on Failure of Cancun : Role and relevance of biodiversity and trade in Sri Lanka.
- South Asia regional conference on biotechnology and development in India.
- Asia regional consultation on development of the International Regime on ABS in Nepal.
- Development of Environmental Economics Programme in Nepal.
- Development of List of Alien Invasive Species and their Management plans – Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
- BSAP review of Oman and Qatar.
- Development of National Biosafety Framework for Cambodia, Maldives, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
- Establishment of South Asian Network to Build Taxonomic Capacities for Biodiversity Conservation (SACNET).
- Asia regional Workshop on mainstreaming biodiversity and climate change in India.
- Study on impacts of climate change on wetland biodiversity and livelihood securities of communities in Lower Mekong region.
- Technical report on implementation of UNFCCC in Lao PDR supported by CIDA.
- Regional consultation on developing a research agenda on Agricultural Biotechnology for Asia in Sri Lanka.
- South Asia regional training workshop on bioprospecting, Access and Benefit Sharing, India.
- South East Asia regional training workshop on bioprospecting and ABS, Bangkok.
- Expert Meeting o Like Minded group of Megabiodiverse Countries (LMMC) on ABS and the International Regime in India.
- National consultation on finalization of ABS principles in Bhutan.
- National training on preparation of threatened species lists in China.
- Local language Field Guides Project (17 activities in 15 countries).
- Support to Thailand on development of management plans for Invasive Alien Species.